The Near East Side Historic District, Beloit, Wisconsin, appears on the National Register of Historic Places. The NESHD was platted in 1837 by the New England Emigrating Company, which originated in Colebrook, New Hampshire. The village was centered on a public square, in what is now known as Horace White Park. Commerce first began to develop at the confluence of the Rock River and Turtle Creek, and in 1846, Beloit College was settled on the eastern banks of the Rock River. As the college developed, the Near East Side neighborhood grew with it, and the college and NESHD have continued to sustain each other.
To download a printable PDF of the Near East Side Historic District Tour, please click here.
Historic Buildings Street by Street
To read about more historic buildings along each street, please click on a street below.
Bushnell, Chapin, Church, Clary, College, Emerson, Harrison, Park, Prospect, Wisconsin
House descriptions provided by Wisconsin Historical Society. Photos provided by Bob Fizzell.