HORACE WHITE PARK
Horace White Park with its rolling hills and gazebo was once the public square for the original village, purchased in 1837 by an agent of the New England Emigrating Company, Dr. Horace White. The park was named after White and his son who was a journalist, economist, and author. Horace White was an avid participant in the Civil War helping to bring slavery to an end.
The park has limestone paths that predate the park’s establishment in 1836. These paths, which extend into the Beloit College campus, were part of the Native American system of trade routes. The first cemetery was also located in Horace White Park, but was later moved to Oakwood Cemetery.