629 HARRISON – RIGGS HOUSE
This house, constructed in 1868, was first owned by the Stephen Riggs family. Mr. Riggs was a missionary, as were two of his sons. Another son was a Beloit College alumnus. The home originally stood on four lots, the one to the north of the current house and the two behind it on Wisconsin Avenue, then named Hydraulic Street.
Two story vernacular L-shaped clapboard house with gable roof. Second story windows are paired, with a triangular arched motif on each; the one in the forward gable may be louvered, while the one in the dormer interrupting the eave line is a wooden detail. Tall narrow windows on the first floor are 6 over 6 sash and have flat wooden lintels. A deep one story porch fills the L and has massive square wooden pillars. An extended three sided bay projects on the side, having 6 over 6 sash and decorative work below. A neat, welcoming house. Limestone foundation.