818 CHURCH – KENDALL HOUSE
Built in 1860, the house was first owned by Elijah H. Kendall, a Beloit carpenter. This two story frame house is an architecturally significant example of Beloit’s mid-century Italianate residences. Built on an L-shaped plan, the rectangularly massed, vertically oriented house has a low-pitched hip roof with extending eaves supported by carved brackets. The symmetrically disposed windows are tall and narrow, with 4 over 4 sash, surmounted by bracketed, projecting cornices. The entry is sheltered by a porch with thin pillars, saw cut braces and bracketed cornice, and the door is framed by sidelights and transom. Corner boards and a frieze border the house, underscoring the rectilinear formality of the composition. Narrow clapboards provide a smooth and chaste surface.