609 COLLEGE – COLONIAL REVIVAL
Known as the Gage House, for many years the home of James Gage, Alumni Secretary at Beloit College. Now owned by the college and used for offices. Georgian Colonial Revival brick two story plus attic house. Wood detail symmetrical window openings center the entranceway. Pedimented canopy supported by brackets framed with vertical wood detail rising to eave. Doorway has leaded glass in sidelights. A two story wing is slightly recessed and has a flat roof surrounded by a balustrade along the perimeter. Built about 1925.
613 COLLEGE – COLONIAL REVIVAL
Two story “English Regency” Revival house in painted brick with truncated hip roof. Curved bay window offsets wide entryway to the side. A one and one-half story wing to the side also has a bay window which complements the other. The chimney has a flat planed rectangular massing with a denticulated motif at the top. Windows and doorway have shutters. Constructed about 1935, now the Alumni House at Beloit College.
619 COLLEGE – LATE PICTURESQUE
A late picturesque frame house, two stories with attic, with a two-story enclosed porch. The porch is supported by massive pillars, the gables have bargeboards and projecting eaves, but detail has been eliminated with aluminum siding. Built around 1890.
623 COLLEGE – QUEEN ANNE
This two and a half story frame house has a multi-gabled roof and asymmetrical composition. Aluminum siding covers most of the detail, but the intersecting gables, tall proportions, projecting bays and flared eaves all reflect the late picturesque style in Beloit. Constructed about 1890.
631 COLLEGE – GEORGIAN REVIVAL
Until 1899, tax records show the house on Lot 11 and Lot 12, as one parcel owned in 1898 by Catherine Royce of 635 College. Edmund Kilbourn, treasurer and secretary of Beloit College is listed as the first owner. He built this house in 1899.
Eclectic Resurgence / Colonial Revival House exhibits many details of turn-of-the-century Colonial Revival: Ionic pilasters, Ionic porch pillars, square pilasters on sun porch and pedimented dormers. Regular facade. Non-revival window sash: upper sash many paned. Now artificially sided, some details are removed or obscured. The front porch is supported by four Ionic columns.
635 COLLEGE – GREEK REVIVAL
Beloit directories and tax records show Jesse McQuigg owned the property from 1857 to his death in 1886. Catherine Royce, widow of Fayette, who had been pastor of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, purchased the home after her husband’s death in 1897. But the actual construction date, prior to 1857, is uncertain, possibly as early as 1848.
An architecturally significant, and the best preserved, example of Greek Revival architecture in Beloit, this home demonstrates the rectangular dimensions and low pitched gable roof of the style. Rising one story with attic, the gable end faces the street and features a cornice return in suggestion of a fuller pediment. Beneath the cornice on the side walls are small attic windows in the frieze, beneath which several brick bands in low relief complete the cornice detail. above the windows are flat brick arches. A side entry features a doorway with denticulated cornice, pilasters and sidelights, presumably a later alteration.
647 COLLEGE – VERNACULAR
Although built in about 1855 by H. N. Brinsmade, minister of the First Congregational Church, the house at 647 College Street is most closely associated with the life of its second owner and long-term resident, James J. Blaisdell. Blaisdell came to Beloit in 1859 to accept a teaching position at young Beloit College, becoming the school’s second professor of Rhetoric and English Literature. Shortly after his arrival, he purchased the home which was to be his residence for most of the next 37 years. Combining the qualities of an idealistic scholar with those of a civic leader, Blaisdell was a member of Beloit College’s ”Old Guard” – the group of five men who gave the college its “distinguishing characteristics” and, in the process, helped shape the larger community.
Blaisdell’s most significant contribution was as a teacher: he was a “mystic,” wrote College President Edward Eaton in 1928, “loving the subtle, spiritual qualities of thought and absolved from the limitations of any age or condition.” Blaisdell carried that Platonic philosophy to his students, and in 1864, he was awarded the Squire Chair of Mental and Moral Philosophy. But Blaisdell tempered his love of the abstract with a concrete commitment to community affairs. Between 1860 and his death in 1896, Blaisdell served variously as chaplain to the 40th Wisconsin Volunteers during the Civil War, superintendent of Beloit’s public schools, director of the Beloit YMCA, vice-president of the Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters, and was an active conservationist who helped create Beloit’s Big Hill Park. According to Dr. Robert Irrmann, Irrmann was told by Dr. R. K. Richardson that the Blaisdells had said that this house was three separate houses put together. Possible, but not likely.
A two story frame house built about 1855, this vernacular cottage is constructed on an L-shaped plan with gabled roof, bay window, plain and labelled window heads, and unornamented clapboarding. It is owned by the Board of Trustees at Beloit College.
709 COLLEGE – GREEK REVIVAL / ITALIANATE
Aaron Lucius Chapin was the first President of Beloit College, serving from 1850 to 1886. He was a teacher and writer on Economics and the department of History and Civil Polity assigned to him in 1853 is said to be the root of the Economics, Sociology and Political Science and History departments of the college today. Chapin died in 1892. Robert Chapin, the only son of A.L. Chapin, became part of the faculty as a professor of Political Economy at Beloit in 1892. He was an alumnus of Beloit College, and lived in the house all his life. In 1937, during Irving Maurer’s presidency, Beloit College received the house as a gift from Miss Ellen Chapin, and it was extensively remodelled and modernized to serve as the President’s home.
This house, although altered over the years from its original appearance, retains much of its original formal character, and now possesses much interesting detailing. Because of its commanding location immediately adjacent to the campus, and nearly facing Middle College, it is a significant landmark. It has been directly associated with the college throughout its life and the architectural changes which have occurred are intimately tied to personalities and events crucial to the history of the institution.
The house was built by Aaron Lucius Chapin, the first President of Beloit College, who commissioned Lucas Bradley of Racine to design it in 1851. Bradley was also the architect for North College, 1854; the First Congregational Church, 1859- 1862; and made the design upon which Chapin based his design of South College 1858. As built, the house was a two story transitional Greek Revival and Italianate, with formal Greek Revival facades, a Greek Revival entrance enframement with top light and probably sidelights and false parapets. However, the wide proportions, the hip roof, the eaves brackets and the shape of the window enframements were more in the Italianate mode. In 1871, Chapin significantly enlarged and altered his house, thereby increasing the Italianate feeling of the structure. A large two story addition to the rear, a two story high bay window in the center of the new elongated south facade, a cupola, actually a clerestory, and some sort of covered front porch show in the 1874 Birdseye view of Beloit. Presumably the false pediments were removed at this time. Many of the Italianate embellishments were removed and now the only vestiges are the roof line, the high ornate chimneys and the bay windows. Corner and central pilasters on the front facade, together with the Greek Revival entrance, not necessarily the original, gave the house an almost Federal air. In the later 1940s, during Carey Croneis’ presidency, the last major alteration was the addition of the diminutive Doric portico with full pediment at the entrance which simultaneously returned the house closer to its Greek Revival origins and related to the remodelled versions of Middle College, North College, and South College, all of which are similarly simplified and “classicized” in the late 1930s.
749 COLLEGE – COLONIAL REVIVAL
Two story sorority house with one story wing to south; brick painted white. Colonial Revival details including handsome entrance with broken pediment. Metal railing on roof of wing includes the Kappa Delta Greek letters. This was the smallest of the Greek letter houses on campus, and the only one now on the academic campus proper, although College Street was still open when it was constructed in about 1935. Converted to other college uses following the decline of Greek letter societies in the 1960s.
803 COLLEGE – COLONIAL REVIVAL
Two story red brick sorority house with large one and one-half story wing to the west with cathedral ceiling; housemother, etc. rooms to the east. Arched window on west with Palladian motif with fan patterns above and keystone. Bullseye window with cross mullions and parapet chimney effect. Brick quoins. Constructed about 1938 as the Delta Delta Delta Sorority House but converted to other college uses following the decline of Greek letter societies in the 1960s.
829 COLLEGE – DUTCH COLONIAL REVIVAL
The only one of the group of fraternity and sorority houses along College Street which was built by the organization itself. Theta Pi Gamma was a local sorority which went national as Delta Gamma and subsequently was stripped of its charter in about 1961, at the time it pledged a black student, the daughter of a Beloit College alumna.
Two story plus attic sorority house with Dutch Colonial impact and Colonial Revival details including a handsome entrance. The entrance features side lights, a top light and Doric portico consisting of two columns and an entablature. Box bay window to north, double “French” doors across facade, and unusual barrel vault dormers with semi-circular fixed sash above the regular sash. Built about 1928.
837 COLLEGE – TUDOR REVIVAL
Site of David Foster’s home and after his death, the Sunny Lawn Maternity home, 1923-1926. Later the home of R. E. Freeman, and of Alonzo A. Neese, about 1948. Remodeled in 1926 by architect Chester E. Wolfley. The only structure remaining on the residential quadrangle of the college campus from what was once a fine group of private homes. Enlarged about 1950 when converted to a fraternity house.
An unusual example of an English Tudor style house, with vertical timber bands that outline all windows and the stucco infill. A very large house, the roof has been designed into an interesting twin gable roof. The exterior entry facade is flanked by bays that extend from several of the living spaces within. Not particularly distinguished in exterior style of detail.
843 COLLEGE – COLONIAL REVIVAL
Two story red brick structure, with hipped roof and Colonial Revival flavor. Wide fascia with wide dentils, pedimented entrance with paired colonettes, fan carved in pediment. Brick quoins. Paired windows downstairs. Shutters. Site of the old Eaton House, later known as the Junior House. Built about 1950, as Pi Beta Phi Sorority House. Converted to other college uses following the decline of Greek letter societies in the 1960s.